Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for September, 2014

We were gone on vacation and left our dog in a very nice pet hotel where she was allowed to play with the other dogs. Three days after we brought her home she developed a very persistent dry hacking cough. I’ve given her some cough medicine and it helps for a short while but then she is right back coughing. She doesn’t seem ill since she eats and plays but the cough seems to be getting worse. What’s going on?

With the history and signs you provided my best guess, without examining the animal thoroughly, would be kennel cough (trachea-bronchitis, i.e. inflammation of the trachea and bronchi sometimes also called Bordetella). You need to get your dog to your veterinarian as soon as you can for a complete exam and workup. If she does have trachea-bronchitis and it is left untreated it could result in pneumonia and be life-threatening. There are other conditions that can cause this kind of cough and those need to be eliminated from the diagnosis.

Kennel cough is highly contagious, spread from dog to dog via airborne droplets breathed in a confined spaced, such as a kennel, or from direct contact with another animal that is infected, play dates, or even from contact with the causative agents on contaminated surfaces such as a communal water dish at the dog park. The etiology (cause) can be a variety of organisms viral, bacterial and most commonly a combination. Viral infections with the canine parainfluenza virus, canine coronavirus, canine distemper virus, canine herpes virus or canine reovirus make the animal more susceptible to infection with the most common bacterial villain; Bordetella bronchisptica (hence the other name Bordetella). This bacteria has been isolated in more than 75% of cases of this disease and is frequently found along with other opportunistic bacteria.

Most boarding kennels will not accept an animal without an up-to-date vaccination history and the vaccinations provided by your veterinarian will prevent this disease in most cases. However, like the flu vaccine for humans, vaccinations are not one hundred percent effective and some infections are a result of Bordetella alone. There are a few vaccines that are effective, long term, for bacteria but Bordetella does not seem to be one of them.

Treatment is with supportive care if necessary for dehydration, rest (pulling against a collar or heavy exercise will exacerbate the coughing) and cough suppressants. Antibiotics effective against the secondary or primary bacterial agent may be prescribed. Since Bordetella is by far the most common culprit your veterinarian may not bother with trying to culture and do an antibiotic sensitivity test to identify the best antibiotic to use, although this might be indicated in a persistent case. Most veterinarians will treat with the antibiotic or combination of antibiotics that have been most successful in their practice. Make certain you follow the directions and give the entire dose since we do not need more antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria around.

The good news is that this disease, if properly treated, is usually not life threatening. You can expect the distress inducing (in you) coughing to decrease and go away within 3-6 weeks.

Read Full Post »

Organisms, cyanobacteria, known as blue-green algae, can be found in freshwater lakes, streams, ponds, estuaries, hot springs and water from wastewater treatment plants. Concentrations of these organisms can be found at any time but are almost always associated with hot weather and nutrient-rich water. Most blue-green algae blooms are not toxic but sometimes they produce microcystins and/or anatoxins that can kill birds, wild animals, aquatic animals, livestock, people or pets that ingest contaminated water. Unfortunately it is not possible to know if toxins are present when the characteristic “pea soup” scum is present without testing for them. If anatoxins are present a few mouthfuls of contaminated water can be fatal. Dogs that swim in such water and lick themselves when they come out have been poisoned.

 

Signs of poisoning by microcystins are vomiting, diarrhea, bloody stools, weakness, pale mucous membranes, jaundice, seizures, disorientation, coma, shock and death from liver failure, usually within days. The diagnosis is based upon the history of exposure to the algae and blood work indicating elevated liver enzymes, low blood sugar, low protein and sometimes abnormal clotting.

 

The anatoxins produce neurotoxicity with signs of muscle tremors, muscle rigidity, and paralysis, along with dyspnea, difficult breathing, and signs of low blood oxygenation. Death can occur very quickly, minutes to hours after exposure, usually from respiratory muscle paralysis.

 

An article published by George Francis in the journal NATURE in 1878 described animals dying rapidly after drinking water from the Murray River estuary that contained “a thick scum like green oil paint”.

 

There is no known antidote for these toxins. Immediate supportive treatment, based upon the signs the animal is showing, by your veterinarian is imperative.

Read Full Post »